Facebook ads are a must if you are starting a new brand, but many find it to be intimidating. In this article we will be breaking down Facebook Ads, so you can better understand them and create them.
What’s your marketing objective?
Before getting into Facebook Ads you have to decide what’s your marketing objective, Do you want to create awareness about your brand?, Do you want people to consider your brand pr do you want them to buy your services?
For this Facebook provides with three different campaign objectives
This marketing objective has two different subcategories:
- Brand Awareness: This type of ad helps by increasing awareness of your brand by reaching people who are more likely to be interested in it.
- Reach: This type of ad is less targeted and aims at delivering your ad to the maximum number of people.
This marketing objective aims to make people consider your brand by delivering them to your website, page, app. etc.
- Traffic: This type of ad aims at sending more people to a destination such as a website, app or a messenger conversation.
- Engagement: This type of ad aims at getting more engagement with your content and helps increasing page likes, event responses or offer claims.
- App Installs: This type of ad is fairly straightforward and helps you increase your App Installs.
- Video Views: This type of ad helps to increase your video views.
- Lead Generation: This helps driving more sales leads, from people interested in your brand or business.
- Messages: Get more people to send messages to your business in Messenger or WhatsApp.
This marketing objective encourages people interested in your business to purchase or use your product or service.
- Conversions: This type of ad helps in driving valuable actions on your website, in your app or in messenger.
- Catalog Sales: Create Ads that automatically show items from your catalog based on your target audience.
- Store Traffic: This type of ad aims at driving traffic to your physical store.
Now that you have selected your marketing objective, let’s move on to the next step.
How To Create Facebook Ads?
First of all login to your personal Facebook account and then create a page after creating a page come back to the main news feed and then click on Create >> Ad
After that, you will be redirected to the Facebook Ad manager where you select your marketing objective which we discussed in detail earlier.
For the sake of this tutorial, we will be discussing Engagement Ads. Start by selecting the marketing objective as Engagement, after that you will see this, just click continue after choosing your desired option but if you want to do A/B Split test for testing out various ad sets, you can also do that.
Now we are at the AdSet level where we will input our audience placements, budget, and schedule. You can type your AdSet name and then create your audience.
You can create a custom audience here which you can also save for later use.
There are four options given in the locations drop-down menu which you can choose from.
- People living in this location
- People recently in this location
- People traveling in this location
- People living in or recently in this location: this option includes all the other options and it’s selected by default.
You can also drop a pin at your location and you can also add bulk locations by clicking the Add Locations In Bulk button.
After selecting your desired location you are given the option for selecting the age range for your potential engagements as well as their gender. It’s pretty straightforward and once you’ve done that you can now move over to detailed targeting.
In this section, you can narrow down your audience even more by targeting their demographics, behaviors as well as their interests. You can add your pages which are similar to your niche here to target specifically those people and you can also further narrow down your audience by using the Must Also Match option where you restrict your audience to broader interest and then a narrower interest to further narrow down your audience. Furthermore, you can also exclude people in this section.
By clicking on show more options you can also target specific languages and connections to your brand or page.
You are given two options Automatic Placements and Edit Placements where you manually choose the placements for your ads. When you are starting with a new ad I recommend you select edit placements and then choose only Facebook Newsfeed, if it works out well then you can choose more placements, if it doesn’t consider changing your ad copy and creative or maybe even targeting.
This is where you select your daily budget or lifetime budget and then select cost control which is basically what you are willing to pay per action.
Now if you click on Show More Options you are given with three more options:
- When You Are Charged: This can be different for each marketing objective in the case of engagement objective, the only option available is Impressions.
- Ad Scheduling: This option is only available when you have allocated a lifetime budget, it doesn’t work with Daily Budget. It is used to tell Facebook when to run your ads in a day.
- Delivery Type: This is used to select the pace at which you allow Facebook to spend your Ad budget you can select Standard Pace and Accelerated Pace.
This is the Ad Level, you make your whole ad over here.
You can create your ad from scratch or you can promote your already existing post. You can choose the format your Ad which includes a carousel, a single photo or a video. Then proceed further to upload your image and then paste your copy in the description, finally preview it on different platforms on the side window to see if it looks good. You can also use a Call to Action button to increase your engagement.
After that just click on confirm and you are good to go.